Friday, September 14, 2007

There should be a rule...

that mom's are never allowed to get sick or injured. It just complicates things, you know?

I was taking a class at the Puyallup Athletic Club on Wednesday morning and the teacher was warming us up on the steps (lisa...I feel your pain). About twenty minutes into it, my right foot slips off the step, rolling my ankle flat onto the ground. I felt something pop and my whole foot went numb. Now, I have a pretty high pain tolerance and my nature is to take a few deep breaths, stand up and keep going. Well, I knew right away that this was not going to happen. So, I very casually put my step away and hopped out of the room to assess the situation! A very nice man from the class came out to check on me and went to get me ice. I am one who would like to avoid attention at all costs so was pretty happy only a few people saw this happen. After about 10 minutes, I gathered my sweatshirt and water bottle, hobbled to the car and drove to Lindsey's house where my kids were, calling Keven on the way to let him know I would probably need his help for the rest of the day!

In all of my years of gymnastics and working out, I have NEVER done anything like this. I took step classes for years and never did this. It is SO hard for me to sit still and be taken care of.

I'm quite certain there is a lesson in this for me.....

Thankfully, I have wonderful husband with a servant's heart who knows me well enough to force my rear end on the couch!

Wednesday, I spent most of the day sitting with my leg up, icing it, and "resting". I was not going to go to the doctor until I woke up the next morning with my ankle twice the size as it was the day before and all black and blue. The pain wasn't a big deal but I don't want to deal with any long term effects. So, I went to get an x-ray yesterday afternoon just to confirm it wasn't broken...it isn't. I will now spend the next week in a brace, trying my hardest to rest it as much as possible.

Seriously, shouldn't there be a rule?

4 comments:

LDraper said...

YES!!!!! There should, most definitely, be a rule.

I'll chat with God about that right now.

Kiss your foot for me...

Linds

Keven & Alicia said...

I was apparantely logged in with Keven's information when I wrote this....It was me, not Keven.

Anonymous said...

Sounds so painful! There should definately be a rule. Thankfully, Keven was able to come and take over. Hope we see you back soon!

Kate

Organized Chaos said...

Ouch...I'm trying out some new classes at my gym but you and Lisa have me thinking I'll avoid the step a little longer!