Monday, March 16, 2009

Special Day

Asher turns 5 this Friday, March 20th.... Five has always seemed like a significant landmark to me. I'm not sure why...maybe because it's half way to 10. There are days when I cannot believe I have a 5 year old and other days when I feel like he's been a part of me forever. It's quite something, this parenting thing.

This year my parent's decided to take Asher for a special day to celebrate his birthday. Keven and I are all for experiential gifts as we try to live a simpler, less cluttered, life. We want to teach our kids that a "present" can be so many things...not always stuff. So, while he did get a few things on his special day with Papa and Grandma, the best gift of all was the memories created and alone time with these two amazing people.

Their day started with a trip to the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. This was Asher's choice and they had a great time! Asher was ready to teach Papa and Grandma all about dinosaurs!


There is a great insect and butterfly exhibit at the science center.

I love this picture of Asher in the mirror....I wonder what life would be like with two of them???

Papa and Asher inside a guitar!
After the science center they headed to Build-a-Bear for Asher's first experience there! He had so much fun picking out his new friend "Lektro".
Their day concluded with dinner at TGI Friday's. Since Asher went gluten and dairy free last September, he hasn't eaten at very many restaurants. He really enjoyed his little break from the diet....with no consequences!


Thank you Papa & Grandma for loving our Asher so much. Thank you for spending this kind of quality time with him....we all know that he will NEVER forget it!

3 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

The 20th is going to be our baby's birthday (unless we're suprised this week)...first day of Spring this year, too!

Looks like a great birthday celebration with the grandparents!

Sara said...

That brought tears to my eyes!

Happy Birthday Asher.....You have a great day to have your Birthday...March 20th, the first day of Spring, my birthday.....the list goes on and on:)

LDraper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.